Additional information about Shore Erosion Control:


... or information about the Critical Area Program or questions relating to State oversight of local programs, e-mail us or call 410-260-3460

 CAC logo

Critical Area Commission
1804 West Street
Annapolis, MD 21401


Shore Erosion Control

Shore erosion control is an integrated process that impacts both aquatic and upland resources. An authorization from the Maryland Department of the Environment (MDE) and a permit from the local government  are required prior to starting a project. 

MDE’s regulations require that a proposed Critical Area Buffer Management Plan (BMP) and a Critical Area Buffer Notification Form (BNF) be submitted as part of the shore erosion control application to enhance coordination between MDE, the Critical Area Commission, and local governments. 

The Commission has developed Buffer Management Plan forms for each type of specific shore erosion control project (Living Shoreline, Revetment, Bulkhead, Offshore Work). These BMPs and the BNF can be found under the “Shore Erosion Control Forms and Information” column on this page. (Note: Many local governments use customized forms for  Buffer Management Plans associated with shore erosion control. Please contact your local permit office determine if any additional forms or information is required)