Aquatic Studies Permit

Aquatic Studies Permits are issued by the department to allow elementary through high schools to possess or maintain aquatic organisms common to Maryland waters. If the organisms will be released into the wild, release locations must be specified in advance.

Collections are not allowed under these permits, and require an aquatic Scientific Collection Permit. To obtain similar permissions for non-aquatic organisms (such as turtles, amphibians and mammals), please contact the Department of Natural Resources Wildlife and Heritage Service.

An application form for an Aquatic Studies Permit is available below, and may be submitted electronically. Permits are issued annually to cover a school year. Renewal reminders, and a report form to summarize activities, are sent to current permit holders in May.

Aquatic Studies Per​mit Application​

Applications, reports or inquiries may be sent to: ​​