Useful Backyard Wildlife Habitat Resources
Backyard Habitat Resources
Maryland Cooperative Extension
- Offers home and garden information, tips publications, plant problems, Bay issues, and other links
- National Wildlife Federation
- Details on their backyard habitat program
- Winter-long survey of birds that visit feeders at backyards, nature centers, community areas, and other locales in North America. Feeder Watchers (like you!) periodically count the highest numbers of each
species they see at their feeders from November through early April.
Invasive Species Resources
- Colston, C. 2011. Native Alternatives to Invasive Plants (BBG
Guides for a Greener Planet).
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden
Guide which goes into commonly planted invasives and native
- Maryland Native Plant Society
- Offers information dedicated to protecting, conserving and restoring Maryland's native plants and habitats
- Native Plants for Wildlife Habitat in Maryland
- Provides lists and information about native plants that can be used for habitat restoration and natural landscaping projects
- Bringing Nature Home: How You Can
Sustain Wildlife with Native Plants, Updated and Expanded.
- This book highlights native plants that are beneficial for
wildlife, particularly those which support beneficial insects
that form the bottom of the food chain.
- Wasowski, Sally and Andy Wasowski. 1994. Gardening With
Native Plants of the South. Taylor Trade Publications.
- This book includes specific information on over 200 familiar,
easy-to-find native plants, over 250 color photographs, nine
sample garden plans, and more.
Habichat, the newsletter for Stewards of Maryland's Backyard Wildlife, is published by the Wildlife and Heritage Service, Maryland Department of Natural Resources.
The facilities and services of the Maryland Department of Natural Resources are available to all without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, physical or mental disability. This
document is available in alternative format upon request from a qualified individual with a disability.