- 342 sites are available, each with a fire ring and picnic table.
- Electric hook-ups are available in the G-Loop and a limited number of sites in I-Loop only.
- Most campsites can be reserved from the last week of April through the last weekend of October.
Click here for the Assateague State Park Campsite Map
For reservations, call 1-888-432-2267 or register online at: parkreservations.maryland.gov
Youth Group Camping
Youth group camping can be reserved from the last week of April through the last weekend of October. A valid Maryland DNR Youth Group Pass is required to reserve a youth group camping area. Nightly service charges apply. For additional information visit the youth camp page.
The youth area beach is not guarded; swim at your own risk. Always use caution when in or around the ocean and be aware of hazards and dangerous conditions including rip currents. Always watch children closely.
Groups and families with reservations for multiple campsites and youth groups are asked to adhere to the following guidelines to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience and to protect park resources, wildlife and other visitors.Print your Assateague State Park/Youth Group Procedures here.
Campground Office/Ranger Station
- When the campground is open, the office may be reached at 410-641-2918. The hours of operation are 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. daily.
- Call 1-888-432-CAMP(2267) for reservations or make reservations online.
- Pets allowed with registered campers in camp loops G, H, and I and adjoining beaches.
- As directed in Maryland Park Service Policy, all pets must have current vaccinations.
- It is your responsibility to have the necessary skills, knowledge and equipment for a safe and environmentally sensitive visit.
Camping with a Generator
If you plan to operate a generator during your camping stay, please consider neighboring campers and the environment. To ensure a safe and enjoyable visit for all our guests, the Maryland Park Service provides the following rules and guidelines for use of a generator when visiting our parks.
- Effective July 3, 2020 operation of any loud generator or those operated at a noise level disturbing to other campers are prohibited in the Assateague State Park campground. These generally include conventional or "construction style" generators. Recommended generators include inverter style, built-in, or "quiet/whisper quiet" type units.
- Generators may not be operated during quiet hours 10 pm - 7 am.
- Generators should be placed near or on the camping pad of your site and near your camping unit and should not interfere with the enjoyment of neighboring campers.
- Generators may not be operated unless at least one person is on site and only for limited periods of time.
- Generators may not be operated at a noise level disturbing others. Assateague State Park staff reserve the right to require that a generator be turned off due to disturbing noise level. If visitor fails to comply, camping permit will be revoked and visitor must depart immediately.
Renting an RV or Trailer?
If you are renting an RV, trailer or other camping equipment from a vendor such as through the websites Outdoorsy or RV Share, please be aware of park rules regarding access to campsites:
- The reservation holder must arrive and check in to the park before any rental equipment may be delivered. Vendors will not have access to camp sites ahead of reservation holder arrival.
- Check-in and delivery of rental equipment may not be prior to the 2:00pm check-in time.
- No parking, storage, or waiting areas are available for RV/Trailer vendors so plan to have the reservation holder arrive at the same time or before arrival of the rental unit.
- Rental units must be picked up on check out day prior to 11:00 am. Vendors must visit the Ranger Station for a temporary campground access pass when picking up rental units.
The Maryland Park Service offers a Resource Based Recreation Use Agreement to participating vendors. Through this program, vendors may gain quicker and easier access for delivering and picking up rental equipment. Check with the vendor you are renting from to see if they are a participating contract holder. If you are interested in information about this program, email us at email@example.com
The Pony Express Giftshop and Grill
- The Pony Express is currently closed. Please continue to monitor the website for information about reopening for the 2020 season.