Patapsco Valley State Park has 18 hunting areas located in Baltimore, Carroll, Howard, and Anne Arundel Counties.
Click on the links below for geopdfs of individual areas (not all areas have completed geopdfs).
Seasons and Bag Limits
Patapsco Valley State Park and Morgan Run NEA are open for deer hunting only. Consult the
Maryland Guide to Hunting and Trapping for bag limits. The dates and days of the week hunting areas are open may vary. Dates are listed in the regulation packet for the Free Public Hunting Permit. The packet can be found
Hunting Devices Allowed
All areas are only open for archery deer hunting except Areas 9, 10, 11, and 17. These 4 areas allow the use of muzzleloaders during the deer muzzleloader and firearms seasons. Shotguns and rifles are not allowed on any areas of Patapsco Valley State Park or Morgan Run NEA.
Permits and Regulations
A Free Public Hunting Permit is required to hunt Patapsco Valley State Park and Morgan Run NEA. The permit may be obtained online through
COMPASS or in person through the Gwynnbrook Wildlife Office (410-356-9272) or Myrtle Grove Wildlife Office (301-743-5161). Call for other options.
- Hunters must sign in at the parking areas for Areas 1-8, 12-16, and 18.
- Daily reservations are required for Areas 9, 10, 11, and 17. Reservations are made through the Gwynnbrook Wildlife Office at 410-356-9272.
- Hunters must park in designated parking areas. Some parking areas are available only for hunters and require a gate code. This code is provided with the Free Public Hunting Permit.
- Hunters may enter the park no earlier than 1.5 hours before sunrise and must be out no later than 1.5 hours after sunset.
- Some provisions exist for hunters with a Universal Disability Pass to hunt from vehicle at Areas 7 and 12.
- Established trails are open year round for public use.
- Hunters must contact Natural Resources Police at 410-260-8888 before tracking a wounded deer after hours, off State Park property, or outside of the designated hunting area.