Park Quest 2022: Parks for Pollinators!
Welcome to Park Quest 2022: Parks for Pollinators. Join The Maryland Park Service as we kick off the 15th anniversary of this popular program with a variety of pollinator-themed quests in Maryland State Parks!
Birds, bats, butterflies, moths, flies, beetles, wasps, small mammals, and bees are all pollinators. They visit flowers to drink nectar or feed off of pollen and transport pollen grains as they move from spot to spot. Pollinators need your help! One of the main reasons for pollinator decline is the loss of habitat. Maryland State Parks are a great place to learn more about pollinators and the important habitats that support them.
Make a plan to visit and explore Maryland’s state parks and complete as many of the Park Quest activities as you can before October 31. Many of this year’s activities are self-guided and can be done at your own pace with your family. If you complete 12 or more quests you can be entered into the Park Quest Prize Drawing! Park Quest 2022 activities will be available from May 1 - October 31, 2022. Additional activities may be added throughout the summer! Please check back for updates!
Park Quest is a great way to experience and enjoy the outdoors through recreational activities, to better appreciate the natural world through exploration and observation, and to learn about Maryland’s varied history with your family as your team!
Park Quest Updates for 2022:
No pre-registration required for Park Quest 2022. Everyone is encouraged to participate in Park Quest activities with their families. Activities are open to all! Information about each quest can be found online.
There are no additional fees to participate in the 2022 Park Quest Program. All materials will be available online. Park day-use service charges will apply for anyone participating in the Park Quest Program.
A list of service charges is on our website.
Quest Availability Varies By Park. Park Quest activities are generally available from May 1 - October 31, 2022, however some restrictions may apply at certain locations. Please review the Quest Description to make sure the quest is available when you are planning to visit. For example, some quests are not available on busy summer weekends. Please call the park directly to inquire if a quest will be available during the time you plan to visit.
NEW Monthly Event Quest Opportunities! Each month there will be a BONUS EVENT QUEST opportunity! This will allow your team an opportunity to complete extra quests and activities at special events across Maryland in State Parks! Please note that some events may have fees. Look for more details in the Park Quest newsletter and posted online.
- Prize Drawings - If you complete 12 (or more!) Park Quest activities before October 31 and complete this form, your team will be eligible to win Park Quest prizes (proof of completion via photos will be required). The form must be completed by November 1, 2022. Prize drawings will take place on November 2, 2022 at 11 a.m. Winners will be notified by email. Prizes range from Park Quest stickers, magnets, and bandanas to an Annual State Park & Trail Passport (valued at $75). Additional prize drawings will be held monthly, based on trivia questions in the Park Quest newsletter! Be sure to sign up to receive our newsletter!
Park Quest 2022 Passport Booklet - The 2022 Park Quest Passport Booklet (PRINT AT HOME) is for you and your family to record your adventures and keep track of which quests you have completed. However this passport booklet does not provide free or reduced entry into any Maryland State Park.
Tips for Park Quest:
- Families are strongly encouraged to bring their own notebook, clipboard, and paper or nature journal and pens, pencils, markers, etc. in order to complete Park Quest activities. Making drawings, taking photos, and jotting down notes are all highly recommended!
- Print out any Park Quest materials that you would like to use from the website ahead of time. If you prefer to not print, you may take a screenshot of the activity on your phone so you can have it with you at the park. Some parks may also have materials available at the start of their Quest.
Purchase an Annual Pass
- Park Quest families are encouraged to purchase an Annual State Park & Trail Passport. Each passport entitles unlimited day-use entry for everyone in the vehicle (up to 10 people) to Maryland's state parks and facilities, unlimited boat launching at all state park facilities and a 10% discount on state-operated concession items and boat rentals.
Available now for purchase!
Valid for a full year from the time of purchase so you don't miss a single day of park fun!
- There are no additional fees to participate in the 2022 Park Quest Program. All materials are available online.
- Any applicable park “Day Use Service Charges” will apply for families participating in Park Quest 2021. A list of service charges can be found online:
- Park Quest Families are encouraged to purchase an Annual State Park & Trail Passport. Each Passport entitles unlimited day-use entry for everyone in the vehicle (up to 10 people), to Maryland's state parks and facilities; unlimited boat launching at all state park facilities; and a 10 percent discount on state-operated concession items and boat rentals. Available now for purchase! Valid for a full year from the time of purchase so you don't miss a single day of park fun!
Plan your Visit - Use the new Maryland Park Service Map to help plan your visit! You may be able to complete more than one quest in a day! Or spend the weekend doing all of the quests in one region!
Camping - Consider camping overnight or staying in a cabin during your quests! Overnight accommodations may be made at:
https://parkreservations.maryland.gov/ Reservations are highly recommended. Some parks may fill to capacity and those without overnight reservations will be turned away.
Share your adventure! We encourage teams to share their experiences on Social Media. Like us on
Facebook @MarylandStateParks and Follow us on
Twitter @MDStateParks #ParkQuest2022. Note that information posted, including photos and posts, become public information and may be used for future promotion and/or to document the activities of the MD Department of Natural Resources and Maryland Park Service.
More activities will be added throughout the summer! Please check back for updates!
Tips for the Great Outdoors!
- Remember all Park Quest Activities take place in the great outdoors! Here are some tips for a safe and more enjoyable visit:
- Always be aware of the weather and check the forecast before starting an outdoor activity.
- Wear proper clothing and footwear for the weather conditions. Dress in layers and wear sturdy shoes.
- Wear sunblock and a hat to protect yourself from sunburn. Choose to spend time outdoors early in the day or later in the day, when it may be cooler.
- Wear light-colored clothing and insect repellent "bug spray" when recreating outdoors in the summer.
- Conduct a tick-check after participating in outdoor activities.
- Always wear an approved lifejacket or PFD (personal flotation device) when participating in activities on the water. Lifejackets are required for anyone under the age of 13.
- Stay on the trail - off-trail activities can be hazardous to your health and the health of the environment.
- Know how to identify poison ivy and try to avoid touching it. "Leaves of three, let it be." Be sure to wash with soap and water if you think you may have come in contact with poison ivy.
- Stay fueled and hydrated! Make sure you bring healthy snacks and plenty of water along. Eat and drink regularly as you participate in your Park Quest Activity.
- Know your limits! For example, before taking a long hike make sure your team tries several short hikes to test their endurance
Questions regarding the Park Quest Program may be directed to: Ranger Melissa Boyle Acuti via email: