Chesapeake Bay Pound Nets
As of June 1, 2021, any set pound nets must be activated; any pound nets not set are required to be activated 7 days prior to being set (COMAR 08.02.25.07). To activate a site, please call or make an appointment with your regional service center. Information about making an appointment can be found here:
Pound net sites in the Maryland portion of the Chesapeake Bay must be registered with the Department of Natural Resources. The following map will assist you in viewing all pound net sites currently registered with the Department.
- All locations are for registered pound net sites. Not all registered sites have nets set in that location. Therefore, there are more sites illustrated here than you will actually see out in the Bay. However, a commercial waterman does have permission to set a net at these coordinates.
- Pound net sites are represented by colored lines on the map below. Grey lines are sites which are not currently activated. Orange lines are sites which the Department has been notified are currently active. You may need to zoom in on the map to see any potential sites in your area. This map is updated daily.
- Locations should not be used for navigational purposes and are subject to change.
- If you have questions on understanding the points, please go to our DESCRIPTION OF A POUND NET SITE page.
- For questions about pound net sites in the Potomac River, please call the Potomac River Fisheries Commission at 800-266-3904.