The original Blackistone Lighthouse was built in 1851 by John Donahoo. It was a two-story, brick residence with the footprint of a narrow rectangle and a 40-foot tower extending from the center of its roofline. Dr. Joseph L. McWilliams (1st Keeper) and his family were heavily involved with tending the lighthouse. His daughter, Josephine McWilliams Freeman, was keeper here for 37 years.
Decommissioned in 1932, it was burned by vandals in 1956.
This magnificent replica was completed in June 2008 and was built using the original blueprints of the 1851 lighthouse through the efforts of St. Clement's Hundred, a local community organization.
Blackistone Lighthouse is open most weekends in the summer, or by appointment.
Please call St. Clements Island Museum for further information at 301-769-2222.
580 Taylor Ave., Annapolis MD 21401
Call toll-free in *Maryland* at 1-877-620-8DNR (8367)
Out of State: 410-260-8DNR (8367)