Picnicking and Pavilions
Sandy Point State Park provides multiple picnic areas throughout the park: Tollgate Area, South Beach Area and East Beach Area. Tollgate and South Beach picnic areas are available on a first come, first serve basis. Picnicking in the East Beach Area is by reservation only. Regardless of where you are picnicking, please be aware of the following:
- Sandy Point State Park must adhere to statewide policies adopted by the Maryland Park Service regarding ALCOHOL, METAL DETECTING, PETS, DRONE USAGE. Please visit the Maryland Park Services Park Policies page to learn more.
- Playgrounds and bathrooms are conveniently located throughout these areas. A limited number of grills and picnic tables are available on a first come first served basis.
- The park’s marina store, located near the boat launch ramps, offers a variety of picnic and grilling supplies.
- For visitors who prefer not to cook, a food concession located at South Beach is open from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
- Maryland State Parks are “Trash Free”. Please practice Leave No Trace principles and take your trash with you when you leave. To view these principles visit www.lnt.org.
- All minors must be under immediate supervision of an adult at all times.
- Pets are prohibited from May 1 – September 30.
- Alcohol is not permitted.
- Profanity, improper behavior, and vulgar remarks are prohibited and may result in patron dismissal from the premises for the day.
- Disorderly acts and nudity are prohibited.
- Fishing is prohibited within the designated swimming areas and is permitted in the areas signed for fishing from the beach. Fishing is permitted from the rock jetties.
For family reunions, group picnics and large group gatherings, a more sheltered outdoor picnic experience is available.
The park has twelve rental pavilions located at the East Beach area of the park. Nine shelters accommodate up to 140 people, two shelters accommodate up to 180 people, and one shelter accommodates up to 300 people. East Beach has its own swimming beach and bathhouse as well.
The pavilions include picnic tables, grills and limited electrical receptacles. Water faucets are also available nearby.
Alcohol is allowed in shelters by permit only. Permits can only be obtained through the shelter reservation system.
Note: There has been a noted increase in flying insect activity, especially flies, in areas of the park closest to wet, marshy areas. This is common during the late summer months and during periods of wet weather. Some of the shelters, because of their location, may be impacted. Use of sprays, traps and insect repellants is recommended when visiting the East Beach shelter area.