Merkle Natural Resources Management Area and Visitors Center
Frank Oslislo Visitor Center
The Maryland Department of Natural Resources has formally dedicated the visitors center at Merkle to Frank Oslislo in honor of the 32-year employee, who was instrumental in developing management plans for department properties. Oslislo, who passed away in 2008, was the face of the department for many years.
Inside you will find:
- Live animal exhibits in our Discovery Room including turtles, snakes and an eastern screech owl
- Interpretive displays about the history of Edgar Merkle and his management of Canada Geese
- Informational displays that cover a variety of environmental and wildlife topics
- A large bird feeder viewing area, stocked with binoculars and field I.D. books
- A history corner that highlights the War of 1812 on the Patuxent and local American Indian heritage
The Frank Oslislo Visitors Center is closed until further notice.
See the DNR Calendar of Events for program dates and descriptions.