The ASBP is responsible for guarding the Assateague day use area-swim beach as well as responding to emergencies along 2 miles of coastline inside state park boundaries.
Every spring, lifeguard candidates must pass a rigorous pre-employment screening process, which consists of:
- Physical testing to include a 500-meter swim completed in under ten minutes, and a ¼-mile run completed in under 2 minutes.
- Submission of online application.
- Oral interview and validation of pre-requisite basic lifeguarding/1st aid/CPR certifications.
Once lifeguard candidates successfully complete the pre-employment phase, they then move onto the ASBP Lifeguard Training Academy. During the
paid, 8 day Academy, lifeguard candidates will receive open water rescue and medical training, to the standards of the
United States Lifesaving Association. Finally, once lifeguard candidates graduate the Academy, they become ASBP lifeguards!
ASBP lifeguards spend their summer saving lives on the beach every day from the Friday of Memorial Day weekend through the Monday of Labor Day weekend, 10am-5pm. Assateague State Park also employs lifeguards as available, beyond Labor Day until Columbus Day in mid-October.
Important dates for the 2023 Lifeguarding Season are as follows:
Pre-employment swim/run test dates:
- Saturday, March 4th, 9am, Salisbury University, Salisbury, MD
- Saturday, March 11th. 10am, Ocean Pines Sports Core Pool. Ocean Pines, MD
- Saturday, March 25th. 9am, Richard A Henson Family YMCA. Salisbury, MD
- Saturday, April 22nd. 8am, Lower Shore Family Branch YMCA, Pocomoke, MD
Paid ASBP Lifeguard Training Academy dates:
May 13th-14th, 20th-21st, and 23rd-26th, with makeup dates for qualifying candidates on May 28th-29th and June 3rd-4th.
The ASBP recognizes that many lifeguards and lifeguard candidates are students or members of swim teams. As such, ASBP is willing to make reasonable scheduling accommodations for individual schooling, training, and competition obligations.
For more information, or to speak to a recruiting officer, please contact Assateague State Park by phone at 443-614-7581 or email at
Watch for announcements on social media and the Assateague State Park web page for when the application period will open in early 2023. Applications will be submitted online at
https://jobapscloud.com/MD/ - Keyword: