North East Beach Area and Picnic Shelters
The North East Beach Area provides swimming access to the Susquehanna Flats of the Chesapeake Bay. There is also a canoe and kayak hand-launch area, just north of the swim area.
The shallow water access is unguarded and the area also features picnic tables, grills and a restroom with cold showers.
Please note that Maryland State Parks are trash free. You must take all of your trash with you when you leave.
Shelters 1 & 2
Located in the North East Beach Area, shelters 1 & 2 accommodate 125 people each. The shelters are available May through September by permit/reservation only. To reserve a shelter call 1-888-432-CAMP (2267) or
visit our reservation web page. Per person day-use fees apply to this area in addition to the $103 reservation fee. Please call the park with questions about amenities, events, or activities planned for the day that differ from grilling and dining purposes. Alcohol permits must be purchased at the time of the reservation.
Visitor Day Use Fees *
Maryland Tagged Vehicles
Weekends and Holidays - $3 per person
Weekdays - $3 per vehicle
Out-of-state Tagged Vehicles
Weekends and holidays - $5 per person
Weekdays - $5 per vehicle
*Some discounts apply
- Discounts only apply to the pass holder. See individual passes for more details.
- Day-use fee is waived for children in booster seats and car seats.
- Bus fees: April through October the standard weekday bus fee is $10 per bus. On weekends and holidays bus passengers are charged the standard per person charge. November through March the bus fee is $10 per bus.
- Senior citizens 62 and older are admitted for free with a Maryland Golden Age Pass . Golden Age Passes can be purchased at the park for $10.
- See more information about
State Park Passes
- Day-use fee is waived for veterans (does not apply to camping or boat launch)
The North East Beach Area opens at 9 a.m. and closes at sunset. All visitors must exit the parking lots by sunset.
Follow Route 272 South, 1/3 mile past park headquarters, turn right onto North East Beach Road.
Things To See and Do
- Launch canoes or kayaks by hand
- Swim within the designated swimming area (marked by bouys from April to October)
Pets on leashes are welcome in this area except for the sandy portion of the swimming beach area from Memorial Day Weekend until after Labor Day.