Fluorescent orange (hunter orange) and/or pink clothing promotes hunter safety because it is easy for other hunters to see outdoors. Except as noted in the exemptions below, a fluorescent orange and/or pink outer garment or hat must be worn by all people who hunt any wildlife or accompany, aid, or assist a hunter in a field, marsh, wooded area, or on the water. Even those who are exempt from this requirement are encouraged to wear fluorescent orange and/or pink when hunting.
Whenever hunting, both hunters and companions must wear either:
- a cap of solid fluorescent orange and/or pink color worn as an outer garment on the head at all times;
- a vest or jacket containing back and front panels of at least 250 square inches of solid fluorescent orange and/or pink color worn as an outer garment at all times; or
- an outer garment of camouflage fluorescent orange and/or pink worn above the waist which contains at least 50% fluorescent orange and/or pink color.
Persons required to wear fluorescent orange and/or pink that hunt from a ground blind that has four sides, a top, and is placed 4 feet or less above the ground must display, on or within 25 feet of the blind, a cap of solid fluorescent orange color or a panel, band, strip, or garment containing at least 250 square inches (approximately 16” x 16”) of solid fluorescent orange and/or pink color.
Be aware that:
- Children, spouses, and property owners (hunting on the owned property) are required to wear fluorescent orange and/or pink.
- Those who hunt with archery equipment during the Junior Deer Hunting Days, Deer Firearms and Deer Muzzleloader Seasons are required to wear fluorescent orange and/or pink.
- Deer archery hunters hunting in Allegany, Frederick, Garrett, and Washington counties during the open black bear season are required to wear fluorescent orange and/or pink.
Those exempt from the requirement of wearing fluorescent orange and/or pink are:
- except as noted above, a person who hunts deer during the Deer Archery Season.
- a person authorized by a Falconry Permit who hunts game birds or mammals using falcons, hawks or owls.
- a person who hunts or accompanies, aids, or assists another person hunting the following species:
- furbearing mammals
- wild turkey