Roadside Tree Law Forms

​Roadside Tree Permit Application Forms

Must be printed and mailed with check.

Contact the Department of Natural Resources Forest Service office where you mailed the permit application for the status of permits and permit questions. 

If you are a resident of Montgomery County, you will need to contact Montgomery County Permits Office at (240) 777-6335 to obtain the county’s roadside tree permit.

Commonly Asked Questions About the Roadside Tree Permit Process:

Q: How do I know if the tree is a roadside tree?
A: If the trunk of the tree is touching the road right-of-way then it is a roadside tree.   If you do not know where the right-of-way boundary is, contact the state, county, or local road agency that maintains the road. 

Q: Where should I send my permit application for processing?

A: Permit applications the permit fee, and the site plan (if applicable)  should be sent to the Department of Natural Resources Forest Service in the county where the work is being requested. For a listing of Department of Natural Resources Forest Services offices, please refer to: County Map

Q: Where will I find the Ranger's final determination?

A: After completing the on-site examination, the reviewing Ranger will approve or deny the application.  If approved, you will receive the permit via the mail or email.  If it is denied, you will receive a denial letter explaining the reason and steps you can take to appeal.  

Q: The Ranger has approved my application. What happens next?

A: You will receive your permit by mail or email.  Once you get permission from the road right-of-way owner (State Highway Administration, county or local department of transportation, etc.) to do the work listed on the permit, you may begin the work.  

Q: Who will do the tree care work?
A: There are a few options: 1) In some jurisdictions, a copy of the permit will be provided by the department to the local public agency so that the tree work will be added to their work roster and performed by that jurisdiction. The Department of Natural Resources does not perform the tree work or removals nor have any influence on the local jurisdiction's work schedule. Specific questions regarding a jurisdiction's schedule should be directed to that jurisdiction's public works office, not to the Department of Natural Resources. 2) Once the homeowner has received the permit and permission from the right-of-way owner, they may have the qualified and Licensed Tree Expert (licensed by the Department of Natural Resources) they hired to perform the approved tree care work.