The Maryland Green School program was developed by a diverse team of educators representing the Maryland Association for Environmental and Outdoor Education (MAEOE), Office of the Governor, the Maryland Association of Student Councils, Maryland Department of Education, Department of Natural Resources and Maryland Department of the Environment. The program is administered through the Maryland Association for Environmental and Outdoor Education.
The Maryland Green Schools Award Program recognizes Maryland schools that include environmental education in the curricula, model best management practices at the school and address community environmental issues.
The Maryland Green School program is administered through MAEOE, and all schools are certified through MAEOE. Schools interested in receiving the award complete an application that documents the school's program and activities during a two-year period. A panel reviews the applications and an award celebration is held in the spring. For detailed information about becoming a Green School, please visit: www.maeoe.org
Maryland Department of Natural Resources supports the Maryland Green Schools program by providing natural resources staff to work with your school on obtaining their Maryland Green School certification. Specifically, we can provide assistance in the following areas:
- Tree plantings on school grounds and in buffer areas;
- Teacher training in Projects WET, WILD, and Learning Tree will help teachers integrate environmental education throughout the curriculum;
- Teacher guide on waste, energy, and water audits;
- Small grants for aquatic-based school yard projects or aquatic-based classroom projects;
- SAV and other restoration projects;
- Support in completing the Green School application;
- Integrating environmental education into school instruction
For information on how your school can become a Maryland Green School, please visit www.maeoe.org.
Acknowledgement: Photos appearing on this page are courtesy of the Maryland Association for Environmental and Outdoor Education (MAEOE)