On October 16, 1976, officials dedicated the Forestry Beginning monument at Herrington Manor State Park in the year the United States celebrated its bicentennial. Written on the plaque are the following words:
“State Forestry in Maryland began within 1/4 mile of this point when on April 5, 1906 John and Robert Garrett gave the state 1,967 acres for forestry demonstration purposes. Today, this forest and associated parks are providing multiple benefits to the people of Maryland. - Maryland Forest and Park Services.”
In the beginning, Maryland conservation leaders such as Maryland State Forester Fred W. Besley placed emphasis on forest conservation, environmental education, and outdoor recreation.
The forest demonstration experiments that began in 1906 on our state parks and forest lands have a proven record of accomplishment and success.
Today, more than one hundred years after the Garrett Brothers gave this tract as a gift of to the State Maryland, there are now 75 state parks and 9 state forests in Maryland enjoyed annually by more than 14 million visitors and contributing significantly to the economy.
The “Forestry Beginning” conservation monument is located on Herrington Manor Lake Road within Herrington Manor State Park.
N 39 27' 27.8"
W 79 27' 06.4"
Photographs (top to bottom):
- Photograph of Offutt Johnson, retired DNR State Park ranger. This photograph taken by Champ Zumbrun in the fall of 2012.
- Rededication of Swallow Falls State Forest at Garrett State Forest in honor of the Garrett family who gave 1,967 acres of land to start forestry in Maryland.
Left to right -foreground: Mrs. Aiken, B.O Aiken – Chairman of Garrett Bicentennial Committee, Tom Butcher – M.C. and Manager of the Oakland Radio Station, Delegate DeCorsey Bolden, Harrison Garrett, W.A. C. Irwin, Chief, State Forest Operations, Merl Wilt - former warden, Adna “Pete” Bond - Director of the Forest Service, Wayne Hamilton - Garrett County Commissioner
Second from right - background: Joe Mechem - Forester for Potomac-Garrett State Forest
Maryland State Forests and State Parks
Significant Monuments and Landmarks In Garrett County, Maryland
By Offutt Johnson and Champ Zumbrun
July 11, 2012
Note: George Gilmore, retired western Maryland regional forest manager, states that Swallow Falls State Forest’s name was officially changed to “Garrett State Forest” on the day this monument was dedicated (October 16, 1976) so as not to confuse the state forest with Swallow Falls State Park.
Back to Feature Stories