Potomac-Garrett State Forest
Interpretation and Education
The Kindness Demonstration Area
The Kindness Demonstration Area features a 1.25-mile self-guided hiking trail through 387 acres of forestland with signs explaining forest management and wildlife improvement practices.
Often referred to as the “birthplace of forestry and conservation in Maryland,” this area is part of the Garrett brothers’ original nearly 2,000-acre land donation which started Maryland’s Forestry and Public Lands System.
See the forest through the trees and better understand how foresters manage our precious forest resources. Come out and enjoy a self-guided hike through the Kindness Demonstration Area.
Directions - From I-68 East or West
- Take Exit 14 and merge onto U.S. Rt. 219 South toward Oakland - 26.0 Miles
- In Oakland, turn right onto East Green Street (first right past fire department) - < 0.1 Miles
- East Green Street becomes East Liberty Street at stop light - 1.4 Miles
- East Liberty Street becomes Herrington Manor Road - 0.1 Miles
- Turn left onto Fingerboard Road (first left past the bridge) - 2.8 Miles
- Kindness Demonstration Area will be on the left