Maryland's First Forestry Law
Throughout the 1920's and 1930's, Maryland's forestry program continued to
stress protection of the resource. Federal-State fire control legislation and a
"Keep Maryland Green" campaign strengthened this effort.
The establishment of the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1933 boosted
Maryland's forestry substantially. The CCC not only fought fires but also built
cabins and other structures on State Forest land and initiated many
reforestation projects. By the 1940's, the risk of forest fire to Maryland's
timber growing business had been greatly reduced.
Maryland's Forestry Conservancy District Act of 1943 was one of the most
progressive forestry laws in the nation. The act stated, "It is...the policy of
the State to encourage economic management and scientific development of its
woodlands to maintain, conserve, and improve soil resources of the State to the
end that an adequate source of forest products be preserved for the
people...where such interests can be served through cooperative efforts of
private forest landowners, with the assistance of the State, it is to be the
policy of the State to encourage, assist and guide private ownership in the
management and fullest economic development of such privately owned forest
As a result of the legislation, scientific forestry principals were applied
to all types of privately owned forest land in the State.