The 19th Annual Maryland Department of Natural Resources Photo Contest is now closed. Thanks to all that submitted photographs.
All winners will be featured in the department’s 2023 wall calendar and published in the Maryland Natural Resource magazine. All entries must be submitted online. Winners will be notified in September before the announcement is made on our website newsroom and social media outlets.
The contest is judged by season: winter, spring, summer, and fall. First, second, and third place winners are selected for each season.
As this is a natural resources-focused contest, we suggest you follow the following guidelines when selecting a subject matter category:
- Scenic Landscapes,
- Weather and Wonder, and
Photos that highlight native species (plants, animals, insects) will be given preference in selection.
In addition to the winners chosen by the department there will be a “Fan Favorite” selected by popular vote on
Facebook. The photo with the most “likes” will also be printed in the calendar and magazine.
- An entry fee of $10 for up to three photos and $3 for each additional entry must be paid with your submission. The number of photos you can submit is unlimited.
- All photos must be original.
- Photos (or parts thereof) previously published online or in print by a third party are not eligible. This includes print outlets and professional websites/social media accounts. Images you’ve shared on your own personal pages are eligible.
- All photos must be
landscape in orientation.
- Photos must be clear, with the highest resolution possible. Specifics are below:
- Winning entries are printed in a standard-size wall calendar edge-to-edge at 11 x 8.5 inches. In terms of aspect ratio, a 4:3 aspect ratio is the best fit for this layout. Images that are outside of those dimensions may be cropped and adjusted to fit the print format.
- For a print measuring 8.5 x 11 inches, ideal resolution is a minimum of 3300 x 2550 pixels at 300 dpi or higher.
Do not submit heavily manipulated/over-processed images. All images should accurately represent the subject matter. Images with heavy effects, including unnatural saturation, exposure, or contrast, will not be considered. Images with watermarks will be disqualified. Focus stacking (taking multiple photos at one time and place) that does not compromise the image’s character is accepted, but merging two different images or superimposing objects is not.
Photos must be named correctly to enter. Name photos in a Category_Title by Name format. Example: Birds_Bald Eagle in Nest by Ansel Adams.jpg.
- Photographers from any state may participate, but all photos must be taken in Maryland. Employees of the Maryland Department of Natural Resources and their immediate families are not eligible to enter.
- The department will make selections based on the quality, composition, content, originality, creativity, and mass appeal. Decisions are final and in sole and absolute discretion of the department.
- This offer is void where prohibited by law.
- Photographers authorize the department to distribute their image(s) for non-commercial purposes with photo credits—including but not limited to education and news purposes—to other media, print, digital, online services, and television for their use. Photographers retain copyright to these photos, the above agreed to permissions not withstanding.* *Per our terms, the Maryland Department of Natural Resources may post photos online—including the department’s website and social media outlets such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Flickr—after the contest. Do not embed any nonessential personal data (metadata) into your files.
How to Enter
- Entries must be submitted by 5 p.m. (EST) on Aug. 1, 2022
- First go to
shopdnr.com to pay the entry fee.
- After you have paid the entry fee fill out the
entry form here and upload your image. You must fill out an entry form for each photo. Before you upload, please name each photo in a Category_Title by Name format. Example: Landscape_Mountain View by Ansel Adams.jpg. Photos must be named correctly to enter.
Grand Prize Winner (Overall)
$500; one-year Maryland State Park Passport; two-year subscription to the Maryland Natural Resource magazine; five copies of the 2023 calendar; image on the cover
Three First Place Winners (winter, spring, summer, fall, minus the Grand Prize Winner) 2022 Maryland State Park Passport; two-year subscription to the Maryland Natural Resource magazine; five copies of the 2023 calendar
Four Second Place Winners (winter, spring, summer, fall) One-year subscription to the Maryland Natural Resource magazine; five copies of the 2023 calendar
Four Third Place Winners (winter, spring, summer, fall) One copy of the 2023 calendar with winning photo published.
Please direct any questions to
Nearly 2,000 photos were submitted by 400 photographers in last year’s contest.
Read all about it and check out the