Gunpowder Falls State Park
The Big Gunpowder River in this section offers opportunities for both novice and advanced paddlers.
- Access to the Big Gunpowder is available at Belair Road and Jones Road. Note: the Jones Road parking lot is not accessible between Memorial Day weekend and Labor Day.
- The more difficult section of the river lies between Belair Road and Jones Road.
- The section downriver from Jones Road is considered easier, providing canoeists and kayakers the opportunity to paddle into the coastal plain beyond the confluence of the Big and Little Gunpowder Falls.
- Personal flotation devices are required for all persons canoeing, kayaking and tubing on the river.
- Helmets are required for kayakers using the river between Belair Road and Jones Road.