George Martinak deeded this land of forests, fields and marsh to the state in 1961 for preservation as a recreational facility and a natural area for the enjoyment of all. Bordered by the Choptank River and Watts Creek, this area supports a wide variety of plant and animal life. Anglers may enjoy the opportunity to catch bass, perch, sunfish and catfish.
The park is located with a hardwood and pine forests on the Choptank River and Watts Creek. Modern campsites and boating access are available. Amenities include hiking trails, playground, shelters and a nature center. Pets are allowed in all areas of the park except the shelter and cabins.
Pets are allowed in the following areas of Martinak State Park:
- Pets are allowed in the campground
- Pets are allowed in the day-use area
- Pets are prohibited in the cabins
Summer Youth Programs
Martinak State Park is pleased to once again offer the popular Junior Rangers and Park Pals programs. Junior Rangers meets weekly on Wednesday evenings and is geared for youth ages 7-12. Kids are offered environmental education, conservation information and fun recreational experiences. Park Pals also meets on Wednesday evenings and provides children ages 4-6 with games, stories and fun nature-related activities. Click here for program information and registration.
- Fishing and Boating: The Choptank River and Watts Creek offer opportunities for fishing and boating. A boat launch and a pier allow for easy accessibility to the waterways. Anglers will find excellent fishing with abundant catches of bass, perch, sunfish and catfish. A Chesapeake Bay Sportfishing License is required for fishing in the tidal waters of the river and creek. Canoes can be rented for a daily fee (April-October). Check with park personnel for current rates.
- Camping: Sixty-three campsites are available for trailer or tent camping, thirty of which feature electric hook-ups. Each site is equipped with a camping pad, picnic table and fire ring. A modern bathhouse is centrally located in each camping loop. No water hook-ups are available, but potable water is conveniently located around each loop. A dump station is available for trailer use.
- Cabins: Martinak State Park boasts four camper cabins and one full service cabin. The full service cabin overlooks the Choptank River and is available for year round rental. The full service cabin sleeps four and comes fully equipped with kitchen, bath facilities, heat, air conditioning and a screened in porch. The four camper cabins are located within the A camping loop and are available for rental early spring through late fall. They each sleep four and are equipped with ceiling fan, electricity and air conditioning. Each cabin features an outside fire ring, grill and picnic table. Restroom and shower facilities are located a short walk away.
- Picnicking: Martinak's picnic areas contain picnic tables, playground equipment and restrooms. A pavilion overlooking the Choptank River may be reserved in advance for a fee by calling the Statewide Reservation System at 1-888-432-2267.
- Nature Center: Explore the exhibits and aquariums in Martinak’s Nature Center. Take a stroll around the building and see the butterfly garden and historical features. Free weekend programs are offered Memorial Day through Labor Day – check the bulletin boards throughout the park for schedule details. While visiting, you can also purchase a park souvenir, ice cream treats, or rent a canoe.
- Click here for camping season beginning and ending dates, and camping and shelter service charges.
Call 1-888-432-CAMP (2267) for reservations
Click here to make reservations on-line for Martinak State Park.
Location - The park is located on the Eastern Shore, two miles east of Denton, off RT. 404, on Deep Shore Road in Caroline County.
Martinak State Park
137 Deep Shore Road
Denton, MD 21629
Hours of Operation
Sunrise to Sunset
Certain activities are permitted outside of the regular park hours (e.g. fishing, boat launch, hunting where permitted). Please check with the park before your visit if you plan to engage in an activity which requires you to be in the park before or after the posted hours.
Contact the Park Service
- Toll Free: 1-800-830-3974
- Reservations: 1-888-432-2267
- Park Watch: 1-800-825-7275
- Email Us