Established in 1959 to protect Gunpowder River and the Big and Little Gunpowder valleys, Gunpowder Falls State Park is now one of Maryland’s largest state parks. Comprised of over 18,000 acres in Harford and Baltimore Counties, Gunpowder’s narrow corridors host a varied topography ranging from tidal wetlands to steep and rugged slopes. Gunpowder features more than 120 miles of trails, protected State Wildlands, historic sites, fishing and canoeing/kayaking streams, a swimming beach, and a marina.
Gunpowder Falls State Park is divided into six areas:
- Hereford Area, located near York Road in Parkton, is ideal for hiking, fishing and canoeing/kayaking, and includes the popular Mill Pond Cottage.
- Torrey C. Brown (TCB) Trail, a 21-mile rail-trail extending from Ashland to the Pennsylvania line.
- Sweet Air Area, located near Baldwin, is popular among hikers and horseback riders.
- Central Area, which extends from Baldwin to Days Cove along both the Big and Little Gunpowder valleys, is ideal for hiking. This area includes the Jerusalem Mill historic village.
- Hammerman Area, located in Chase near the intersection of Eastern Avenue and Graces Quarters Road, offers picnicking, pavilions, playgrounds and a swimming beach.
- Dundee Creek Marina, also located in Chase, offers boat launching, rowboat rental, fuel and a marina store. It is located near the Dundee Creek fishing area and archery range.
To get the most out of your visit, be sure to obtain the appropriate maps, noted below on this website.
Gunpowder Falls State Park’s headquarters is located in the restored gristmill at Jerusalem Mill Historic Village. The office is open weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday (closed weekends and state holidays). Call 410-592-2897 if you have any questions.
Learn more about upcoming park events and programs such as Junior Rangers by reading the Gunpowder Currents. The newsletter is published semi-annually and is available upon request from the park.
The Gunpowder Currents Newsletter is in a PDF format that requires Adobe Acrobat Reader. (Adobe Acrobat file, about 1 to 2.5 MB) - To get the free Acrobat Reader go to Adobe.com.
Pets are allowed in Gunpowder Falls State Park in the following areas:
- Pets are allowed in all undeveloped areas.
- Pets are allowed in Dundee Creek Marina area.
- Pets are allowed in Hammerman area (except for sandy portion of swimming beach area).
Gunpowder Falls State Park Maps
Gunpowder Falls State Park is one of Maryland’s largest state parks. Presently, some sections of the park have been thoroughly surveyed and detailed maps are available for purchase either at Park Headquarters, or on the DNR Online Store.
Maps available for purchase include:
Maps for other areas are currently in production. Until they are ready for purchase, please make use of these free maps:
- Area Map of Gunpowder Falls State Park properties (pdf)
- Central Area, Big Gunpowder Trail, Harford Road to Belair Road (pdf)
- Central Area, Big Gunpowder Trail, Belair Road to Pulaski Highway (pdf)
- Central Area, Little Gunpowder Trail, Harford Road to Jerusalem Mill (pdf)
- Central Area, Little Gunpowder Trail, Jerusalem Mill South (pdf)
- Central Area, Pleasantville (pdf)
- Hammerman Area & Dundee Creek Marina (pdf)
- Central Area
- Dundee Creek Marina
- Hammerman Area (beach)
- Hereford Area
- Jerusalem Mill
- The Mill Pond Cottage
- Sweet Air Area
- Torrey C. Brown Rail Trail
Central Area (Belair Road) – From the Baltimore Beltway (I-695), take U. S. 1 (Belair Road) north seven miles until you cross over the Big Gunpowder Falls. The parking lot will be on your right immediately following the bridge across the falls.
Dundee Creek Marina - From I-95 take exit 67A for Route 43 east (White Marsh Boulevard). Follow 43 to Route 40 east. Turn right at the first light onto Ebenezer Road and follow it for 4.5 miles. Go past the Hammerman entrance, and enter the marina on the right. The physical address is 7400 Graces Quarters, Chase, MD 21027. To visit the fishing area, continue straight and veer to the right and follow the road until it deadends.
Hammerman Area (beach) - From I-95 take exit 67A for Route 43 east (White Marsh Boulevard). Follow 43 to Route 40 east. Turn right at the first light onto Ebenezer Road and follow it for 4.5 miles. The park entrance will be on your left. The physical address is 7200 Graces Quarters, Chase, MD 21027
Hereford Area - From I-83 N, take exit 27 and turn right on Mt. Carmel Road. At traffic light, turn left onto York Road. Pass Hereford High School and turn left onto Bunker Hill Road. Continue on Bunker Hill Road to parking lot, located above the river.
Jerusalem Mill (Park Headquarters) - From I-95 take exit 74 for Route 152 West (Mountain Road). Follow Mountain Road toward Fallston and turn left onto Jerusalem Road. Jerusalem Mill will be on your left after 1.1 miles. Parking is in the lot on the right, just before the mill. The physical address is 2813 Jerusalem Road, Kingsville, MD 21087.
Monkton Station - From I-83 N, take exit 27 and turn right on Mt. Carmel Road. Turn right on York Road and make a quick left onto Monkton Road. Follow it until it crosses the Torrey C. Brown (formerly NCR) Rail Trail. Monkton Station will be on your left. Limited parking. The physical address is 1820 Monkton Road, Monkton, MD 21111
Sweet Air Area – Take I-95 north. Take exit 74 onto Route 152 toward Fallston. Follow it for 10 miles. Turn left onto Route 165 south. Take first right onto Greene Road, right onto Moores Road and left onto Dalton Bevard Road. The parking lot is at the top of the hill. The physical address is 2840 Dalton Bevard Road, Baldwin, MD 21013.
Sparks Bank Nature Center - From I-83N take exit 24 (Belfast Road). Turn right onto Belfast Road. Turn right onto York Road (Route 45). Take your second left onto Sparks Road. Follow it until it crosses the Torrey C. Brown (formerly NCR) Rail Trail. Sparks Bank Nature Center will be on your right. Limited parking. The physical address is 1207 Sparks Road, Sparks, MD 21152.
Gunpowder Falls State Park
PO Box 480
2813 Jerusalem Road
Kingsville, MD 21087
Phone: (410) 592-2897
Hours of Operation
Sunrise to Sunset
Certain activities are permitted outside of the regular park hours (e.g. fishing, boat launch, hunting where permitted). Please check with the park before your visit if you plan to engage in an activity which requires you to be in the park before or after the posted hours.
Contact the Park Service
- Toll Free: 1-800-830-3974
- Reservations: 1-888-432-2267
- Park Watch: 1-800-825-7275
- Email Us