Maryland Hunter Education Independent Study
The Maryland Hunter Education Program offers two programs for Independent Study. The Internet Based Course and Home Workbook Course. Both provide an alternative delivery method of the Hunter Education Course.
Home Workbook Course
The Home Workbook Course requires that the student complete a workbook based on information provided in the hunter education student manual. Once the student has successfully completed the workbook, the student must complete a mandatory, one day, Hunter Education Field Day Workshop which includes lectures, hunter safety skills demonstration, range skills demonstration, including live firing, and a final exam in order to complete all state requirements.
You must be at least 13 years of age or older to participate in this program. You should allow a minimum of 8-24 hours to complete the workbook. The workbook must be completed in its entirety prior to the field day workshop. You will not be allowed to attend the workshop unless the workbook is completed, no exceptions.
Hunter Education Field Day Workshop
- Bring all of the Home Workbook materials, including the completed workbook, with you to the workshop.
- You will be required to provide a photo ID and proof of age upon arrival (driver’s license or copy of birth certificate). Failure to provide these two documents will prohibit you from continuing in the program.
- Your workbook will be reviewed by an instructor for completeness. If it is not complete, you will not continue in the certification process.
- You will participate in a lecture covering hunter ethics, basic firearm safety and handling, and tree stand safety.
- You must successfully complete a 50 question Maryland exam with a minimum score of 80%.
- You will participate in safety skills exercises and range skills exercises including live firing. You will be evaluated in each of these activities. These activities take place outside, so dress accordingly.
- Students will not bring firearms and ammunition to the workshop. Firearms, ammunition, eye and ear protection will be furnished. If you prefer, you may bring your own ear and eye protection.
- Upon successful completion of all of the above, and approval of the instructors you will be issued a Certificate of Competency in Firearms and Hunter Safety which allows you to purchase a hunting license.
- The field day workshop may last 4 to 6 hours, depending on number of students.
All students taking the Home Workbook Course must be 13 years old or older. Registration information, how to obtain course materials, Field Day Workshop dates and locations are listed below. Please carefully read the registration instructions, as instructions for each Workshop site may differ. Registration may be required in person, in order to obtain course materials and show proof of age. Registration for all Hunter Education Field Day Workshops closes two weeks prior to the workshop date.
Last updated November 3, 2014