- Actively collect and catalog all DNR
- Provide speedy interlibrary loan service
for DNR employees.
- Provide research and reference assistance
to DNR employees and the public.
- Provide online access to the library
catalog, DNR image bank, and digital DNR
- Maintain journal subscriptions of particular importance to DNR employees.
- Maintain collection of books and
publications relevant to the DNR's mission.
- Conduct outreach with DNR employees and
the public to promote library resources and develop improved
The Carter Library collects materials which reflect and
support the activities at DNR, including ecology of the
Chesapeake Bay, natural resource management, outdoor
recreation, and smart growth. The library currently contains
over 10,000 volumes, more than 2,000 of which are Maryland
Department of Natural Resources publications. The collection
is searchable online in the
library catalog. Journal holdings and current
subscriptions are available on the DNR
Journal List. Digital collections include an online image
bank, accessible from the library, digitized documents in
Bibliography of Chesapeake Bay Grey Literature, and
digital repository of DNR documents.
Maryland Geological Survey in Baltimore has a collection of
some 10,000 books and journals, 4,000 USGS 7.5 minute
topographic quadrangle maps, and thousands of orthophotoquads,
National Wetland Inventory Maps, county topographic maps,
aeromagetic maps, oyster bar charts, radar imagery maps, Bay
atlases, historic shoreline maps, county landfill maps,
county planning and zoning maps, national park maps, satellite
imagery maps, as well as archival maps, air photographs and
indices. Materials do not circulate.
website for directions, contact information, and hours.
DNR staff may borrow materials from the library for a loan
period of three weeks. The public is welcome to use the
library materials in the library Monday through Friday, 8:00
am to 4:30 pm. At this time, the library does not lend materials
through interlibrary loan.
Directions and Parking
The library is located in B3 of the Tawes State Office
Building at 580 Taylor Avenue. Directions and parking
information is available at
Ann Wheeler, Librarian
Last updated: April 17, 2007
- Acceptance of
all donations is at the discretion of the librarian.
- Accepted donations may or may not be
incorporated into the collection at the discretion of the
librarian. Items that are not incorporated into the collection
will be distributed to other libraries, donated to charity, or
in rare cases disposed of as the librarian sees fit.
- For the health of our employees and
collections, the library cannot incorporate books that are
moldy, mildewed, or insect infested.
- The library is especially interested in receiving donations of the following
- MDNR publications.
- Scientific and technical material of
relevance to the work of MDNR.
- Non-fiction in good condition dealing
with natural history and environmental science.
- Journals (one years worth or longer)
relevant to the work of MDNR.
- Replacement issues of journals that the
library is missing.
- The library can provide a receipt of donations received,
but cannot indicated monetary value on the donation.
If you have questions about this policy or about donating
specific items to the library, please contact the library at
email@example.com or 410-260-8830.
you for your donations!