Outdoor Activities for Children
You Will Need:
- A tree – you can use your recycled Christmas tree or use a live tree in your yard. It doesn’t have to be an evergreen tree.
- An assortment of food such as bird seed, popcorn, fruit, stale donuts and so on.
- Heavy thread or string and a large needle
Here are some colorful and tasty treats
that the birds will appreciate.
- Make a string of peanuts in the shell.
- Pop some popcorn and let it go stale. Be sure to use popcorn that doesn’t have any butter or salt on it. Thread the popcorn on heavy thread.
- Use a needle and heavy thread and string fruit such as raisins, cranberries and grapes.
- Slice fruit like apples and oranges into thin slices; attach a piece of string and hang them on the tree.
- Make pinecone feeders. Spread peanut butter on a pinecone and roll it in bird seed. Attach it to the tree with string.
- Tie day-old donuts on the tree. Your local grocery store or bakery might be happy to give them to you.
- Cut an orange in half and scoop out the insides. Fill it with bird seed or suet and hang it on the tree.
Children in Nature
Maryland Department of Natural Resources